Life after work and the trips of a lifetime

"We are judged by what we finish, not by what we start." - Anonymous

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Woo hoo! What a ride!..attributed in this form to either Maxine Cartoon or anon

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Morphing bike, body and brain into touring mode

Emerging from rather a lot of zzzzzz time I have to remind myself of 3 things.

1. keep tweaking the bike to help it become closer to being a touring bike
2. drink and eat during rides
3. FFS...you are in touring NOT training mode so you ARE allowed to stop, take  photos,  have a coffee etc etc etc

Bike
After the MAD ride, when I noticed I was riding with my hands on the tops rather than the hoods, I made minor alterations to the bike set up...returning the saddle height to where it should be (I'd lifted it slightly to stop my  sore knee bending so much at the top of the circle) and rotating the bars around slightly so the hoods were a bit closer to me, the end result is that "reach" has been lessened. Comfort was better yesterday.

Body
Will I ever get this right? 
Drink....I have a tendency to under hydrate so I've taken to riding these longer rides with a Camelback which  has solved one  problem but added another. The beauty of the Camelback is that  I can also store all the bits and pieces I need to take with me in it too.  The problem with it is that I can be tempted to take too much and what's worse.. the weight is higher than if I was relying on bottles and a baggie under the saddle.
Food....I'm even worse at this so bad that  yesterday I forgot to take any gels at all ending up with only 1 muesli bar and of course I refused to stop en route.  Doh!

Brain
I'm struggling to  unlock myself from the straight jacket of a coach-driven plan to go by with efforts, zones and watts targets to strive for.
'Nuff said

So..... today's ride was 109.92km!   I seem to have developed an inability to remember where I put things so I went out for today's ride without the map I'd so busily created on www.mapmyride (and printed out too!).  Anyhow I was spot on until Gembrook where I should have gone south to Pakenham rather than north to Launching Place...the end kilometerage was the same so no biggy.  The idea had been to go to Pakenham then come back up Cockatoo on a different road then on through Yellingbo to Woori Yallock and so home.  Instead I went to Launching Place...great road that..too many ups (worst at 20%) of course but the downhills were hoon worthy.

I was determined not to get onto training mode (see above) so I stopped every hour and took pix.  Here are 3 of them...



lunch (?) at Emerald.  The latte decco was a nice surprise..especially after the inauspicious start when European wasps drove me indoors and the lady taking my order got it wrong 3 times!!!  A muffin and a latte..how hard is that?

and Puffing Billy near Gembrook.  PB was making a bit  of a dogs breakfast over the bit where I met up with it...slow as.  Much huffing and snorting and not too much forward motion....an all too familiar situation!

So 2 days down, 2 to go.  99.16+109.92= 209.08km.  Can I make the 360-400km?  The body can, I think.. but will the brain?  Aussie roads are incredibly boring and I'm rather banking on interesting scenery in Italy to take me through the same old same old aspect of riding 100km+ every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment