Life after work and the trips of a lifetime

"We are judged by what we finish, not by what we start." - Anonymous

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Woo hoo! What a ride!..attributed in this form to either Maxine Cartoon or anon

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Training for the trip of a lifetime..yet another challenge

On May 8th I fly out of Australia for an Italian cycling holiday which will take me from Palermo in Sicily to Lake Como in the Dolomiti.  In between those two locations I will be suffering many days of 100+km cycling up and down longer and steeper slopes of a vicious nature, through rain hail and perhaps in the northern end..even snow. I will also be camping. 

The cycling part is a task I've not had any experience of at all, camping I'm very used to, although not recently.

Last Monday I rode the track for an hour to create a world best for my age grade, now its Saturday and I've finally managed to get on the bike again and done the first of my build up rides, which was a 2 hour ride  with no hard hills.  Luckily this weekend is a long one with a public holiday on Monday, so tomorrow's ride will be longer and a bit more hilly and Monday's will be harder still.  After that I will be riding into work most days.

More anon as training and plans kick into high gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment